Advanced Search

describing a font

Total Posts: 1

Hi guys. I have a question for font experts.

I am designing a logo for a TV show and picked a font for the the name of the show. However, the client said she wanted something more “dynamic, fresh, energizing and memorable”.

To be quite frank, this is too subjective to me and even though I asked for more details, I was hoping some of you could tell me which (kind of) fonts would fit that description.

Any hints would be gladly appreciated.

Total Posts: 18

It seems they might want something very “web 2.0” cause when people who arent into design / type say “fresh” it usually means whatever is popular / not old - so look at some design trends a lot of people are using mixes of sans-serif with bubbley fonts like “Arial Rounded MT Bold” is an ok one to use, even though im a firm-hater of anything Arial, it might get the job done.

Total Posts: 21

AlpTkz, your question really got me thinking. This kind of subjective communication barrier must come up often for lots of people. You’re not alone. I’ve posted the following at Typophile too: Let’s see where the conversation goes.

* What comes to mind when someone asks for a “dynamic, fresh, energizing and memorable” typeface?
* What about a “lively, clean, readable” one?
* What if your answers aren’t the same as my answers?
* What if clients don’t like our answers?

How can we best communicate our subjective feelings about typography? How do you communicate with other people about type? Do you reference a particular aesthetic lexicon or classification system, and are your clients on the same page?

Total Posts: 12

I tend to look for typefaces which are part of a genre which touch on the emotions involved; example, softer or more humanist sans/serifs for a contemporary look, more rigid serifs for a classical look, etc. That much, everyone does. What I do from there is look for a typeface using the letters of the company’s logo or whatever the most used characters are, to find out within that branch of typefaces which ones have the most unique letterforms. For example, if a company is called “Fig Leaves” I might select Meta, as Meta’s lower-case g is quite beautiful and distinct. Long story short, I fit the type families to the emotion, and select the recommended typefaces based on the finer details from there.

Total Posts: 21

I like that, Stuart. When I teach, I encourage students to elicit emotion with their web design work ... to start very general and narrow to specifics through inspiration that may be only abstractly related to the design problem at hand.

More often than not, I look to other elements I *must* deal with (like your example of a company’s logo) for formal qualities, and try to find these in a typeface.