Forum

Advanced Search

License for contributed content?

Total Posts: 2

First, congratulations on launching such a gorgeous site!

Second, what license is Typedia content distributed under? Many public databases created from user-contributed content usually have some kind of open redistribution/reuse license, but I don’t see anything other than the copyright symbol.

Total Posts: 170

I apologize, we did actually choose a Creative Commons license and forgot to link it up in the footer. I’ve corrected that now. The work is free to be redistributed with a attribution license. Thanks!

Total Posts: 2

Wow, thanks for fixing that! More importantly, thanks for choosing a popular open license.

Except… okay, I’m going to be picky and wishful now, so here’s something to file under “someday maybe” or ignore entirely:

When I see a new open database project like this one, I wonder why the people behind the project didn’t use Freebase ( http://www.freebase.com/ – I’m not affiliated, though some friends of mine work on it). In your case, FB covers most of what you want, as far as I can tell, except for the font-display Flash widget – okay, that’s a pretty important bit. FB’s CC-BY is incompatible with your current CC-BY-SA in terms of being able to slurp your data into it. If you’re amenable to it, switching to CC-BY would allow the info to flow both ways.

There’s the option of also moving Typedia to be a frontend to Freebase-stored data, which would give you an instant API with advanced querying, easily-expandable schemas and a bunch of other nice things.

Total Posts: 170

Huh, I had never actually heard of Freebase before. It definitely look interesting. I think for now we’re going to wait and see how Typedia grows and look into different options as it becomes necessary to do so.