Forum

Advanced Search

Station To Station Type

Total Posts: 2

An argument has started on a David Bowie fan site over the type used on the iconic “Station To Station” cover. A Franklin Gothic faction has been laughed into silence but someone has been recently plumping for Standard CT Bold. I think the metrics are all wrong and it’s not impossible that they got someone to design a special font, but I wondered if anyone on this forum actually knew. I’d hate for feelings to be hurt.
Thanks.

Total Posts: 23

The Standard CT guess is close, but you’re barking up the wrong tree if you’re looking at digital type. Since this album was designed in 1976 it most likely used photocompositor fonts, probably a version of Akzidenz-Grotesk or the American version known as Standard. It’s slightly heavier than the AG Bold weight, but not Super. There are often weight variations of metal or film type that were never digitized.

The Extra Bold Standard CT is the most similar digital font, but because it’s a reinterpretation of the original typeface, it won’t match the outlines precisely. And metrics will rarely match because digital type almost always has different spacing than its metal, wood, or film predecessors.

Total Posts: 40

Here’s a sample of Standard Bold (probably the Intertype phototypositor version) from Jaspert, Berry, and Johnson’s “Encyclopædia of Type Faces”

http://twitpic.com/54uxml

Total Posts: 2

Thanks - that looks close enough for forgery.