Forum

Advanced Search

EOTFAST - A New And Easy-To-Use Tool For Making @Font-Face Web Font Files

Total Posts: 1

If you’re going to be using @font-face web fonts check out this new free tool:
EOTFAST
EOTFAST is a utility for creating natively compressed EOT files for use with any domain.
Convert once, use on any site. Savings in file size typically range from 45% to 70%.
It’s fair to say that other conversions utilities like Microsoft WEFT or ttf2eot are now obsolete.
For example, a first-rate screen font like Droid Serif starts out at 169kb as a TTF with the full character set but as an EOTFAST file it weighs in at only 80kb. With still the full character set. Compression is lossless.
The documentation contains information for designers looking to prepare fonts for use on the web.

The download package also contains a HTMLEOT File Integrity Test” page and a helpful “fallback” test font.

EOTFAST

I’ll be tracking this thread – please let me know what you think, any problems, etc…

Total Posts: 1

How does it compare to the Google Font service?

Total Posts: 6
Rick.bross - Aug 11, 2010 04:33pm
How does it compare to the Google Font service?

You can not really compare it to Google’s font service, since it is not a service, but rather a tool that lets you convert TTF fonts to the Embedded OpenType format that is necessary to display custom fonts in Microsoft Internet Explorer. For a more detailed dive into webfonts, I refer to the Excellent ALA article by mister Fink (who also started this thread): http://www.alistapart.com/articles/fonts-at-the-crossing/

As for EOTFAST: too bad that there is no Mac version—although I understand why. I will just have to wait for v 2.0! ;)