Haas’sche Schriftgießerei Münchenstein/Basel was founded 1740 by Johann Wilhelm Haas, sold serveral times until 1904 when Max Krayer took over the managment. His nephew Eduard Hoffmann, in the company since 1917, succeeded him in 1944. Hoffmann’s son Alfred took over in 1968.
In 1927 Haas became an open corporation with Berthold and D. Stempel AG as shareholders. Deberny & Peignot was bought in 1972, Fonderie Olive 1978 and Societá Nebiolo 1990.
In 1989 Linotype AG, owner of Stempel-Foundry bought the remaining shares (and rights) of Haas, the foundry-type activities where continued under the name Fruttiger AG ((no relation to Frutiger)).
Most successful Typefaces:
Bodoni Antiqua (later distributed by Stempel and Berthold) 1924
Clarendon, Hermann Eidenbenz 1953
Neue Haas Grotesk/Helvetica, Max Miedinger 1957
- based on Haas’ chronicle